What Happens To Skin In Menopause?
As oestrogen levels decline, collagen production slows down. Skin becomes drier and less elastic. This leads to moisture loss and skin becomes less able to retain hydration.
Reduced Collagen Production
Oestrogen plays an important role in collagen synthesis, which keeps skin firm and supple. As oestrogen levels drop, collagen production slows causing skin to lose elasticity.
Skin’s natural barrier starts to weaken as we go through menopause causing skin to become more sensitive and prone to irritation. Many women who have never had sensitive skin, start to experience sensitivity for the first time in menopause and many women who have a history of sensitive suddenly gets much worse.
These skin changes require a different approach to your skincare routine in menopause. A cream cleanser is the best choice for menopausal skin as it locks in moisture and won’t cause irritation – foam cleansers and wipes are very drying for skin and balms can strip the skin of natural oils causing it to become even drier.
Why A Cream Cleanser is Best in Menopause
- Gentle Hydration Cream cleansers are formulated to cleanse without stripping the skin of its natural oils. They contain moisturising elements that help counteract the increased dryness associated with menopausal skin.
- Protect Your Skin Barrier Menopausal skin is more susceptible to a compromised skin barrier. Cream cleansers, with their nourishing ingredients, help strengthen this barrier, reducing the risk of irritation and sensitivity.
- Effective Cleansing Without Striping While effectively removing dirt, makeup, and impurities, cream cleansers do so without the harshness of some other cleansers. They leave the skin clean and refreshed while maintaining its delicate balance unlike a balm or a foam which can strip the skin.
- Soothing & Calming A well formulated cream cleansers will contain calming ingredients that can soothe irritated skin, offering relief from any discomfort caused by increased sensitivity.
How to Choose the Right Cream Cleanser for Menopause
It’s important to choose the right formulation when it comes to adding a cream cleanser to your menopausal skincare routine. You need a creamy, nourishing formula with natural oils, butters and vitamins that will cleanse effectively without stripping skin of moisture and protect its natural barrier. Yous should also avoid any irritating ingredients like fragrance, drying alcohol and essential oils. These are well known skin irritants that are used in a lot of skincare products. They can make menopausal skin symptoms worse, so it pays to know what they are to avoid them.
NEW Living M 2-in-1 Cream Cleanser & Mask – a super nourishing cleanser & face mask in one innovative product.
Our new cleanser is so nourishing it can be used as both a cleanser and a face mask making it the prefect choice for rejuvenating dry menopausal skin and restoring radiance. It’s an intensely nourishing cream cleanser and face mask wrapped up in one luxurious product.
Jam packed with an indulgent blend of antioxidants, vitamins and nourishing natural oils with superstar ingredients including:
- Shea Butter – a rich natural emollient that deeply moisturises, regenerates, and soothes skin. Rich in antioxidants that protect skin from external stressors such as UV rays.
- Nourishing Oils – a blend of Rosehip, Apricot Kernel, Grapeseed, Avocado and Jojoba - natural oils that are rich in essential fatty acids to nourish and protect against skin dryness, whilst calming inflammation.
- Neroli Blossom Water- heavenly blossom water rebalances the complexion and uplifts the mood. Plumps and hydrates skin while soothing signs of sensitivity.
- Vitamin E – a powerful moisturiser and antioxidant. Hydrates and soothes dry, irritated skin.
Use daily as a cleanser to melt away makeup and impurities without drying skin, as a 10-minute intensive mask treatment, or as an overnight mask to restore radiance to dry, dull and tired skin.