If you like to unwind with a glass of red wine you might already be familiar with one super ingredient found in the skin of red grapes – resveratrol. This potent antioxidant has many health benefits as well as a whole host of positive effects when used on skin.
Lesser known that the usual antioxidants like vitamin C, it is an exclusive skincare ingredient that you won’t find in many product formulations. But it’s one you need to know about – resveratrol one of the most powerful antioxidants available and the list of benefits for menopausal skin is endless.
WHAT ARE ANTIOXIDANTS & WHY DO WE NEED THEM IN MENOPAUSE?
Antioxidants are naturally occurring vitamins and minerals that protect your skin against free radical damage. Free radicals are molecules in the environment (like airborne pollutants) that damage collagen and weaken skin elasticity, leaving skin duller and lacking in radiance. Antioxidants protect your skin against environmental stressors and boost your complexion. In menopause, antioxidants are essential because collagen levels are depleted due to declining oestrogen levels. Our protective skin barrier also starts to weaken. A great antioxidant will protect collagen, boost radiance, allow skin to repair itself and support cellular renewal.
WHAT IS RESVERATROL?
Resveratrol is a naturally occurring antioxidant found in the skin and seed of red grapes, all berries, and even dark chocolate. It is one of the top antioxidants when it comes to skincare. It belongs to a family of chemical compounds known as polyphenols, which give protection against UVA/UVB rays and other environmental stressors. It has many benefits when used on skin and is particularly effective when it comes to targeting the hormonal skin changes caused by the menopause. If you are suffering from any of these skin concerns, resveratrol is the antioxidant you need to be using; Sun damage, Breakouts, Redness, Uneven texture, Hyperpigmentation, Dullness, Bumps, Dryness, Fine lines, Wrinkles and Sensitivity.
WHAT ARE THE SKIN BENEFITS OF RESVERATROL FOR MENOPAUSAL SKIN?
- It’s one of the best antioxidants around and works to scavenge free radicals and prevent further damage, guarding against environmental pollutants that make skin look dull.
- Unlike vitamin C which can be irritating, resveratrol calms sensitive, over-exposed skin
- Resveratrol reduces the appearance of redness and irritation. Skin can become increasingly prone to redness, flushing and sensitivity in menopause so you need an antioxidant that will soothe rather than irritate
- Resveratrol brightens your complexion and boosts radiance to get that glowy, dewy look back
- Resveratrol helps skin maintain normal moisture levels which is key for menopausal skin which becomes much drier due to fluctuating hormone levels
- Resveratrol reverses the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles (we prefer to call them laughter lines)
- Resveratrol hydrates skin
- Resveratrol smooths skin’s texture
- It’s a phytoestrogen (which means it mimics the effect of oestrogen on your skin) that supports collagen synthesis for plumper, firmer skin
- Resveratrol helps reduces the appearance of breakouts that many menopausal women suffer from and is known to inhibit the growth of bacteria
Resveratrol is especially effective in targeting skin changes caused by hormonal fluctuations in menopause and it was a must-have when we were developing our Collagen Boost Moisturiser formulation.
As well as the skincare powerhouse resveratrol we teamed it with a whole host of other skincare goodies like collagen boosting peptides, more superstar antioxidants niacinamide and vitamin E, multi-molecular hyaluronic acid and nourishing natural butters. It’s got it all! So put down that glass of red and pick up a Collagen Boost Moisturiser for all the grape goodness your skin deserves.