Menopause is a hormonal rollercoaster that can play havoc with your skin as well as your mood. Fluctuating hormones affect us both physically and psychologically and can mean big changes for our skin.
The loss of that plump, dewy, glowy-skin look is one that affects us all. Lack of sleep and low energy and mood certainly don’t help us look and feel our best. It can suddenly feel as if you’ve lost your sparkle on the inside and out. The good news is there is a lot you can do to get your glow back in menopause to get you feeling and looking like the best version of yourself again.
What happens to our skin in perimenopause?
As we go through perimenopause (the years leading up to the menopause) our hormones start to fluctuate and decline. As oestrogen levels decline, collagen levels will start to decrease. Collagen is the structural protein responsible for skin’s elasticity – a scary sounding 30% will be lost during the first 5 years of menopause. As collagen production starts to slow down rapidly, the effects on skin can be dramatic. Skin becomes drier and thinner with a weakened skin barrier. Cell turnover slows rapidly, and skin starts to lose its ability to hold onto water appearing less plump and radiant.
Skin can become more sensitised and prone to irritation. Hormonal imbalances can also lead to breakouts and inflammation that you may not have experienced since puberty. Your skin can seem confused – dry and irritated on the one hand but breaking out at the same time and it can be hard to know what products are going to be right. Your skin is going through significant changes which all add up to a complexion that’s dull, dry and lacking in radiance.
How Can I Get Glowy Skin Again?
A holistic approach to taking care of yourself is best in menopause. A targeted approach, the right skincare regime and the right nutrition and exercise plan will help you get your glow back. Living M skincare has been especially developed to give skin back what the menopause takes away. The Perfect Pair is an easy-to-use daily skincare duo that will restore glow and radiance for healthy looking skin. Especially designed to target the hormonal skin changes caused by menopause, it is designed to;
- Boost Your Collagen Levels.Because collagen levels start to decline dramatically in menopause you need skincare products that will protect and boost collagen levels in your skin. Peptides are an intelligent skincare ingredient that send messages to your skin to produce more collagen and elastin, essential for supple, nourished skin. Living M Collagen Boost Moisturiser is a multi-benefit moisturiser formulated with a blend of signal peptides that stimulate collagen production for plumper, glowing, firmer skin.
- Replenish lost hydration.In menopause, your skin literally loses its ability to hold onto water resulting in dry, dehydrated skin. You need hyaluronic acid – a super hydrator that can hold 1000 x its own weight in water. It acts like a sponge and draws moisture to the skin. Not all hyaluronic acid is created equal though – Living M skincare products are all formulated with multi-molecular hyaluronic acid. Which basically means different sizes of molecule. Low and mid weight molecules penetrate deep into the skin’s layers for intense below the surface hydration that lasts. Higher weight molecules give an immediate plumping effect to the skin for that dewy look we all miss. Living M QUENCH & SOOTHE SERUM is a super-hydrator designed to give an intense hydration hit to skin.
- Boost radiance without causing irritation.We can’t sing this skincare superhero’s praises enough. Niacinamide has so many benefits for menopausal skin it’s hard to know where to begin (read our Menopause and Niacinamide blog for all of them) but boosting radiance without causing irritation is a big one. Niacinamide has a super effective brightening effect on skin but unlike other ingredients like Vitamin C for example it is well tolerated and won’t cause irritation, redness, or sensitivity.
- Use the power of phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens in skincare basically mimic the effect that oestrogen has on the skin. Our Collagen Boost Moisturiser is blended with Resveratrol - a potent phytoestrogen and antioxidant. This absolute skincare gem is found in the skin of red grapes, it has excellent benefits for menopausal skin. As well as hydrating, brightening, and protecting skin’s natural barrier, Resveratrol functions like oestrogen to maintain collagen and moisture levels for firmer, plumper skin and a dewy complexion. If it isn’t already in your skincare products now it the best time to add it.
- Deeply nourish your skin.Your skin in menopause is going to need a more nourishing moisturiser than it has before. A lot of moisturisers for menopausal skin are very rich and highly fragranced – neither of which are going to do your skin any good. Fragrance is a known irritant and creams that are super rich can clog your pores and trigger spots and breakouts. Our Collagen Boost Moisturiser contains a blend of two super nourishing natural butters – Avocado and Cupuaçu. Known as nature’s super-moisturisers they effectively relive dryness and tightness and restore moisture levels for a radiant look. Free of fragrance, essential oils and drying alcohol which are to be avoided in perimenopause and menopause when skin becomes much more prone to irritation.
- Adopt an inside out approach. Diet and exercise can have a huge impact on how glowing your skin looks and how well you feel on the inside. Making sure you are properly hydrated makes a big difference – aim to drink 2 litres of water every day. Eat healthy, varied diet rich in fruit, vegetables, wholegrains and healthy fats. Try to limit caffeine, alcohol and sugar. Not easy on weekends like the jubilee we know! If you try and adopt the 80/20 rule where you are good 80% of the time but allow yourself the occasional treat that can often work better than complete self-denial.
- Avoid or limit alcohol. Alcohol in particular can aggravate skin causing dryness, dehydration, flushing, dark circles and decreased elasticity. All best avoided in menopause so limit your consumption as much as you can. You are better off having your grapes in your skincare through our super antioxidant resveratrol rather than in your glass. Try COLLAGEN BOOST MOISTURISER for all the benefits of this skincare powerhouse.
- Get Moving Aim for a combination of cardiovascular and strength training exercise to boost your health and your complexion. As much as you can (we know how hard it can be!) try and reduce stress in your life. Yoga, mindfulness, and meditation can all help.
You CAN get your glow back in menopause - it just takes a bit more effort and a targeted approach. By taking care of yourself from the inside out you can get your sparkle back.
Living M is a highly effective two step daily skincare system specifically designed for the unique needs of perimenopausal and menopausal skin. Try The Perfect Pair - Collagen Boost Moisturiser and Quench & Soothe Serum for everything your skin needs in an easy-to-use daily skincare duo. Use AM and PM for firmer, plumper skin that glows. The Perfect Pair £64.00 (Save 20%. £80 when sold separately).
THE PERFECT PAIR £64.00
What is It? Two-step daily skincare duo specifically formulated for perimenopausal and menopausal skin.
What does it do? The Perfect Pair have been designed to work together with an expert blend of proven active ingredients to combat the accelerated loss of collagen and hormonal skin changes caused by perimenopause and menopause.
Collagen Boost Moisturiser is a multi-tasking dream cream designed to boost collagen production and deliver vital nourishment for plumper, glowing, firmer skin. Superstar Ingredients: Signal peptides, resveratrol, niacinamide, multi-molecular hyaluronic acid, avocado and cupuacu butters. RRP £45.00
Quench & Soothe Serum is a next level super hydrator designed to soothe and calm sensitised skin. Helps control hormonal breakouts for an ultra-hydrated, brighter, clearer complexion. Superstar Ingredients: Multi-molecular hyaluronic acid, niacinamide and Vitamin B5. RRP £35.00