Dry, dull, lacklustre skin is the most common skin symptom in menopause and it’s the skin concern we hear most often from our community. It can often feel like as though we’ve lost that glowy, radiant look overnight.
Fluctuating hormones and their effect on our skin are to blame. The good news is that there are things you can do to effectively restore lost radiance, but in menopause it means a more targeted approach and using the right skincare ingredients.
Why has my skin become less radiant in menopause?
As we go through perimenopause, (the years leading up to the menopause) our hormones start to fluctuate and decline. As oestrogen levels decline, collagen levels will start to decrease. Collagen is the structural protein responsible for skin’s elasticity – 30% will be lost during the first 5 years of menopause. As collagen production starts to slow down rapidly, the effects on skin can be dramatic. Skin becomes drier and thinner with a weakened skin barrier. Cell turnover slows rapidly, and skin starts to lose its ability to hold onto water appearing less plump and radiant.
Skin can become increasingly sensitised and prone to irritation. Your skin is going through significant changes which all add up to a complexion that’s dull, dry and lacking in radiance.
How can I get radiant skin again in menopause?
The good news is there is a lot we can do to restore radiance in menopause with the right skincare ingredients and a good skincare regime. The products you might have used in the past might not be suitable for your changing skin needs and could even be making matters worse. You need skincare designed with your hormones in mind with a carefully balanced blend of proven actives and skin nourishing ingredients if you want to get your glow back. Living M skincare has been designed to;
- Boost Your Collagen Levels.Because collagen levels start to decline dramatically in menopause you need skincare products that will protect and boost collagen levels in your skin. Peptides are an intelligent skincare ingredient that send messages to your skin to produce more collagen and elastin, essential for supple, nourished skin. Living M Collagen Boost Moisturiser is a multi-benefit moisturiser formulated with a blend of signal peptides that stimulate collagen production for plumper, glowing, firmer skin. It also contains Resveratrol - a potent phytoestrogen and antioxidant. This absolute skincare gem is found in the skin of red grapes, it has excellent benefits for menopausal skin. As well as hydrating, brightening, and protecting skin’s natural barrier, Resveratrol functions like oestrogen to maintain collagen and moisture levels for firmer, plumper skin and a dewy complexion. If it isn’t already in your skincare products now it the best time to add it in
- Replenish lost hydration.In menopause, your skin literally loses its ability to hold onto water resulting in dry, dehydrated skin. Look for skincare ingredients that contain hyaluronic acid – a super hydrator that can hold 1000 x its own weight in water. It acts like a sponge and draws moisture to the skin. However, not all hyaluronic acid is created equal – Living M skincare products are all formulated with multi-molecular hyaluronic acid. Which basically means different sizes of molecule. Low and mid weight molecules penetrate deep into the skin’s layers for intense below the surface hydration that lasts. Higher weight molecules give an immediate plumping effect to the skin for that dewy look we all miss.
- Boost radiance without causing irritation – ditch the vitamin c for niacinamide. We can’t sing this skincare superhero’s praises enough. Niacinamide has so many benefits for menopausal skin it’s hard to know where to begin (read our Menopause and Niacinamide blog for all of them) but boosting radiance without causing irritation is a big one. Niacinamide has a super effective brightening effect on skin but unlike other ingredients like Vitamin C for example it is well tolerated and won’t cause irritation, redness, or sensitivity. Quench & Soothe Serum is formulated with niacinamide for a radiance boost without irritation.
- Use the power of phytoestrogens.Phytoestrogens in skincare essentially mimic the effect that oestrogen has on the skin. Our Collagen Boost Moisturiser is blended with Resveratrol - a potent phytoestrogen and antioxidant. This absolute skincare gem is found in the skin of red grapes, it has excellent benefits for menopausal skin. As well as hydrating, brightening, and protecting skin’s natural barrier, Resveratrol functions like oestrogen to maintain collagen and moisture levels for firmer, plumper skin and a dewy complexion. If it isn’t already in your skincare products now it the best time to add it.
- Deeply nourish your skin.Your skin in menopause is going to need a more nourishing moisturiser than it has before. A lot of moisturisers for menopausal skin are very rich and highly fragranced – neither of which are going to do your skin any good. Fragrance is a known irritant and creams that are super rich can clog your pores and trigger spots and breakouts. Our Collagen Boost Moisturiser contains a blend of two super nourishing natural butters – Avocado and Cupuaçu. Known as nature’s super-moisturisers they effectively relive dryness and tightness and restore moisture levels for a radiant look. Free of fragrance, essential oils and drying alcohol which are to be avoided in perimenopause and menopause when skin becomes much more prone to irritation.
- Boost cellular renewal with retinol. If there is one ingredient that is guaranteed to restore a radiant look to your skin, it is retinol. Known as the gold standard for ageing well it is the most proven skincare ingredient there is and renowned for its transformative effect on skin. Retinol works in both the outer layer (epidermis) and inner level (dermis) of the skin. It increases the thickness of both layers by increasing cell turnover and stimulating collagen production. Regular use of a well formulated retinol product can reverse the signs of collagen loss. If you aren’t already using retinol, you need to start now as retinol will help stimulate the skin to boost collagen production. The result: smooth, glowing and healthy skin.
Living M skincare has been especially developed to target the unique needs of menopausal skin. Designed with your hormones in mind to rejuvenate and replenish for glowing, healthier stronger skin in menopause.
The Menopause Skin Solution Set is a simplified menopausal skincare routine for maximum results formulated with ingredients that complement each other at optimum levels for maximum results. The high-performance products have been expertly developed to complement one another to target the top symptoms of menopausal skin changes – dryness, loss of firmness and radiance, fine lines, skin sensitivity, redness and inflammation and hormonal breakouts.
Step 1 Quench & Soothe Serum (35ml) is a next level super hydrator designed to soothe and calm sensitised skin. Helps control hormonal breakouts for an ultra-hydrated, brighter, clearer complexion. Superstar Ingredients: Multi-molecular hyaluronic acid, niacinamide and Vitamin B5.
Step 2 Collagen Boost Moisturiser (50ml) is a multi-tasking dream cream designed to boost collagen production and deliver vital nourishment for plumper, glowing, firmer skin. Superstar Ingredients: Signal peptides, resveratrol, niacinamide, multi-molecular hyaluronic acid, avocado and cupuacu butters.
Step 3 Super A Retinol Sleep Cream (50ml) A high-performance retinol blend designed to accelerate cell turnover for radiant, smoother, stronger skin. Specifically designed for menopausal skin so you can enjoy all the benefits of retinol without the irritating downsides. Superstar ingredients: 0.5% encapsulated retinol, ceramides, multi-molecular hyaluronic acid.